Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Arbor Press

. 3.70...
"Carl Ijames" fired this volley in
:

I bet your 3 ton unit is only 50 or 60:1, so you
will need to apply 6000/60=100 lbs to get the rated 3 tons, as well.

But only by virtue of the handle being about twice as long as on the one-
ton. The gear/rack ratio is only slightly different.

I modified my 3-ton with a pneumatic 'helper' cylinder that aids when I
need to dwell under pressure for a long time.

Lloyd

Leverage is certainly king. I use 3 (or sometimes 4) screwless vises on my
mill table, and I have had a work piece thrown once or twice with a high
hold when tightened down with the hex key that came with them. (Unless I
tighten it with a mallet) The other day I was going through my drawer full
of assorted hex keys (looking for a different size) and I ran across one
that is a few inches longer in the size for the vises. I have been using it
ever since. I am amazed at how much tighter a few inches of leverage makes
them. I was doing some facing a couple days ago aggressive enough to bog
the 5HP spindle slightly, and nothing moved.