Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default Replace water line from street to house -- PEX or copper?

On 04/09/14 08:48 am, I wrote:

to save $$$ on this project try finding a local guy with a backhoe to
dig the trench. a large part of a plumbers mark up is the
excavating.......

I was surprised to find that they are not digging a trench, just digging
a hole at each end and using a "missile" (as he put it). Even for copper
it would still be the same method. I don't know whether that would work
for PVC.

Now I've watched the procedure in action, I wouldn't have called it a
"missile": it's a compressed-air-powered procedu pulsating compressed
air forces the "head" through the soil bit by bit until it emerges the
other end, then they attach the PEX or copper to the end of the air hose
and pull it through.

To use PVC as "conduit" would require digging a trench, they told me.
And that would require hand digging around a bunch of other cables and
the gas line.

I was surprised to see how shallow the cable company's cable is buried.
I could easily have damaged it when working on the sprinkler system if
I'd had to do anything at that spot.

Perce