Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default OT computers

On 4/9/2014 9:57 AM, Mayayana wrote:
| I'd call anything from Symantec crapware.
|
| And when it's pre-installed as a free trial version
|
| it's sleazy crapware. Symantec would be out of
|
| business if they didn't pull that trick on onwitting
|
| computer buyers.
|
| I guess I must be one of those "unwitting" buyers. My HP came with
| free Norton for a year. When I bought it, they had a deal where for
| a nominal fee, I think it was ~$30, you could get two additional years.
| I took advantage of that. I got 3 years of Norton and it's performed
| fine by me, no issues at all.

Symantec has a long history of buying good products,
then bloating them, cutting down functionality, and
raising the price. They then make those products a
success through marketing. (There's been a current
discussion about this on the XP group.)

Last I saw, Norton was among the most bloated of
the AV options, and that's not good because AV is
already very demanding in terms of resources. Other
products Symantec has ruined that I used personally:

Right now on this computer Norton 360 is using 12mbs to 16mbs of RAM.
Norton *used* to be a resource hog...not any more.

I snipped too much of your post. Just wanted to let you know that you
might wanna try Panda Cloud AV. It is the lightest AV that I've ever
seen, and it also has very good test scores.

http://www.cloudantivirus.com/en/

http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home...7/janfeb-2014/