Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT, We Had 5-8 Inches Of Rain Last Night

On 4/8/2014 8:49 AM, dgk wrote:
On Mon, 07 Apr 2014 21:14:12 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 4/7/2014 8:53 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Oren:
I still think this whole thing is a pyramid scheme, so money
can be redistributed.

That would suggest a cabal that doesn't seem possible in it's
complexity. I have a pretty dim view of human nature, but that
includes people's ability to cooperate.

Exxon or the Koche brothers, I can see: they're bonded together
by a mutual desire to maximize profits.

But virtually the entire world community of scientists? What do
they stand to gain? I'd think vanishingly-few of them have any
significant economic interest/investments in alternative energy
ventures. I would think they are just trying to get published
and not have their colleagues rip what they've published to
shreds.

That's what they've got in it -- 90% of environmental research is
funded by government grants so in a "publish or perish" world the
only way to win a grant and therefore retain their professorship is
to follow the lead of the funding agency.

Now, being an engineer/physics guy meself, I don't think 90%+
really intend this but it's the inevitable result of eventually
succumbing to the current research trend.

There's no way one can put any serious credence in the details of
the models over the time frames they're projecting--it's
ludicrous.

So do you deny that the world is getting warmer or do you agree with
that but deny that human activity is significantly responsible?

I think that both are true, and as we all should know, more heat
equals more volatility so more extreme events. I do enjoy reading
folks talking about this being part of a natural cycle, like the
climate scientists aren't aware of the natural cycles.

Naturally the scientists are usually receiving grants from
governments - who else funds work that doesn't really have quick
financial rewards? Certainly not corporations that have a vested
interest in selling more fossil fuels.

As Pete said, if this is all some huge conspiracy by those horrible
leftists, I would think that some of the millions of people involved
would spill the beans.

I do hope that you are correct, and that we aren't heading for
really serious climate alterations, but I think that we are.

There are a few things that man has done that could be contributing
factors. In third world countries, rain forests are being cleared to
open land up for cattle farming and cow farts contain a lot of green
house gases. Pesticides that are very effective against termites have
been banned which keep termites from eating "man made" wooden structures
and the termites fart a lot of greenhouse gasses. Of course,
7 billion human beings are farting out a lot of greenhouse gasses. So it
can be assumed that most farts are the fault of mankind and are one
of the biggest contributors to global warming. ^_^

TDD