Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default OT computers

On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 12:30:05 AM UTC-4, Ron wrote:
On 4/8/2014 11:51 PM, Bob_Villa wrote:

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 10:13:55 PM UTC-5, Ron wrote:

OK, if you say so. The ONLY thing on this PC that was trialware was

Norton. Again, NO "crapware".

From a Walmart HP laptop

I didn't buy my HP from Walmart

HP

Support

Assistant:

Still on my computer. Lets you know when certain programs and drivers

need to be updated.

HP

Utility

Center:

Still on my computer. Contains HP recovery manager, HP support

assistant, HP Coolsense settings, and HP Protectsmart AKA HP 3D

Driveguard settings.

HP

Quick

Start:

Lets the computer boot to the desktop instead of the Metro screen. I

never used it (if I even had it). I installed Start8.

CyberLink

PowerDVD:

I use that.

7-zip:

Hell, I installed that.

Buy

Office

This computer came with Microsoft Office Starter 2010 free of charge.

If I go to the Metro Screen (which I hardly ever do) there is a crap

load of free and payware apps in the Microsoft store. I just checked

Amazon, Kindle and Netflix are in there but you have to install the apps.

My HP buying experience is consistent with yours. I bought two from the
HP website about a year part, a couple years ago. They had software
similar to what you got, ie the HP support assistant, getting started app,
Norton, freestarter version of Microsoft Office. I just looked and there
is also an icon for HP Games, but I've never opened it, done anything with it.
I guess it depends on what your definitionn of "crapware" is. What they load may be different depending on the channel it's sold in. The HP load on
mine was fine by me. To me crapware is when you load it up with a lot of
stuff that is totally useless and intrusive, ie popping up with solicitations,
etc. If crapware means anything other than just the OS, then I would think
you're going to find that on any PC from any major manufacturer today.
AFAIK, you'd have to buy from a mom/pop integrator if you want to avoid
having anything but the OS on it.