Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wallpaper stripping tools and techniques

On Wed, 09 Apr 2014 07:00:07 +0100, LumpHammer wrote:

The underlying plasterboard goes soggy easily, so I'm reluctant to use
steam.

What do you mean by "soggy", actually soft an squidgy or just a
colour change and easier for a badly handled scraper to damage.
Without a skim the PB paper may well come off...

I've never used a steam stripper on PB but things don't get anything
like as wet as they do with the hand method. Also as it's hot/warm it
dries quicker. The first scrapings are preety much dry by the time
you've gone round a normal room and with a steam stripper that is a
lot quicker than manual.

Has this wallpaper been painted? The paint film will keep the steam
or water away from the paper/adhesive. Might be worth gently running
over it one of the spikey roller/wheeled things to peirce the paint.

As I have a steam stripper I'd try it even on unskimmed PB but
wouldn't get upset if it didn't work as I know there is a risk.

--
Cheers
Dave.