Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Wallpaper stripping tools and techniques

In message , Thomas Prufer
writes
On Wed, 09 Apr 2014 07:00:07 +0100, LumpHammer
wrote:

I've stripped one room so far, using a cheap paint scraping tool to
remove as much dry paper as possible, and some "Zinsser" wallpaper
stripping solution for the difficult bits. The underlying plasterboard
goes soggy easily, so I'm reluctant to use steam.

Standard procedure is to get the paper wet, often using a garden
sprayer. Or, in
more difficult cases, use very thin wallpaper paste on the surface, and stick
the thinnest cheapest poly dust sheet to the wall to let it soak without drying
off too soon. Try frequently to get the wallpaper off when it's just right, not
too damp and not too dry.

I have found the stripping solution to not be of any more use that a
small dash
of washing-up to aid in wetting. YMMV.

Wetting is not particularly helpful for the problem of the plasterboard going
soggy. However, I think getting the plasterboard damp/wet is worth it if the
wallpaper then peels off very easily, and the plasterboard dries again whole,
IYSWIM. Scraping dry may damage the plasterboard more. Standard advice is to
paint the plasterboard with cheap diluted emulsion to size it before sticking
wallpaper to it. (Yeah, not helpful here...)

None of the tools I have used were of more utility than a scraper like these:
http://cdn.toolstation.com/images/13.../stock/webtabl
es/96313.jpg

On embossed paper over lath and plaster, I found it necessary to scratch
the surface to allow water penetration. The tool used was something like
the largest scraper shown above but with the edge having 6mm serrations.
Dragging this across the surface created score marks which allowed water
in to soften the glue.

The plasterer employed by our builder was so impressed that he stole
it:-(

--
Tim Lamb