Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Wallpaper stripping tools and techniques

On 09/04/2014 07:00, LumpHammer wrote:
I've got several rooms to redecorate, that are currently covered in
1970s textured wallpaper, some in reasonable condition, some not.

I've stripped one room so far, using a cheap paint scraping tool to
remove as much dry paper as possible, and some "Zinsser" wallpaper
stripping solution for the difficult bits. The underlying plasterboard
goes soggy easily, so I'm reluctant to use steam.

Any tips on the easiest way to strip the remaining paper, tools I could
buy?

The fancier wallpaper stripping tools on Amazon have mixed reviews.

I've been a huge fan of steam strippers since the 1979s. They will take
gloss painted anaglypta off Victorian lath and plaster surfaces (OK in
that case the finish layer is often friable and comes off as well).

I think they work in two ways, by saturating the paper and softening
cellulose type pastes, but the heat also softens older adhesives.

I don't think I have ever had to take wallpaper off straight
plasterboard, but I would expect them to be good at that (obviously, if
the paper is painted you may need to abrade the surface). If you do it
at the right speed, you just dampen the paper but not the substrate so
you are less likely to have the "soggy plasterboard" problem than using
the wet method.