Posted to alt.home.repair
JAS JAS is offline

Default Replace water line from street to house -- PEX or copper?

Oren wrote:
On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 08:13:32 -0500, CRNG
wrote:

Any indication of what causes the black poly to fail so often. I've
never heard of it failing except at a connection, and that is usually
due to settling.

My former neighbor had black poly fail. The cause was the builder
apparently backfilled the trench partially with rock. The landscapers
planted a tree near the area. A combination of the rocks and tree
roots crushed the poly. Replaced it with PEX.

About 40 years ago I ran three yard hydrants with the heavy duty black
poly pipe, these lasted about 30 years and they started to leak and
break. We dug them up and the were as brittle as glass. I believe they
make a better product now but they lasted fairly well.