Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default How to complain to the FTC and/or FCC about deceptive advertising

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 3:47:48 PM UTC-4, Ann Marie Brest wrote:
On Mon, 07 Apr 2014 17:43:34 -0700, Oren wrote:

OP could have bought a 32GB phone with internal memory and not need a

SD Card.

Which? warns over mobile phone memory on Tuesday 08 April 2014

Mobile phones have much less storage than advertised, according to consumer

watchdogs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...ne-memory.html

14 Comments

A Which? study found that mobile phones claiming to provide 16GB of data

storage actually had memory as low as 9GB.

The article just conflated "data storage" with "storage" or more correctly
"internal storage". In this whole thread so far, I haven't seen anyone
claim that the phone manufacturer, carrier, etc ever said that it has
4GB of "data storage". So, whoever is writing this isn't much better in
the accuracy dept.

The worst offender was the Samsung Galaxy S4 was found to have just 9GB

instead of the 16GB claimed on the box.

I'll take bets that Samsung never put on the box or anywhere else that
the phone had 16GB of data storage.

Next to bottom was the Sony XperialZ which had 10GB, followed by the

Blackberry Z10 with 11GB. The Google Nexus4 had 13GB while the best of the

bunch was HTC Windows 8X with 15GB.

Rory Boland, Which? deputy tech editor and digital producer, said that

every smartphone has an operating system - such as Google's Android or iOS

for iPhone - and this takes up a certain amount of storage.

The phone therefore has much less space for actual storage.

"Throw in some built in apps - and most manufacturers do - and your

storage size can be reduced to a shoebox.

"We found some are far worse than others in hogging storage space - put

your hand up the Samsung Galaxy S4," he said.

Mr Boland said all phones have lower storage than advertised.

"It's a poor performance from the Samsung Galaxy S4 but all phones are

guilty of advertising more space than is actually available.

"An operating system needs to take up some of the storage space on your

phone - a better, more powerful operating system may - may - need to take

up a little more room.

What I don't understand is if it's the OS, why does the Android OS apparently
vary so much from one phone to the next? Or maybe from one carrier to the
next. I have it on my entry level
4GB phone and I have 1.3GB free space showing. And that is after I
loaded 100 - 200MB of my own apps.

"The problem is that manufacturers aren't making people aware of how much

space they're really getting when they buy the phone. And it's a bit of a

lottery."

Not if you look at the phone, turn it on, before you buy it. I think the
best the manufacturer can do is say that the phone has X GB of internal
storage and point out that the OS and pre-installed apps can take a
significant amount of it. Otherwise, to give an actual number, they would
have to track every phone they make and update the number every day,
because apps are constantly being updated with new versions and can grow.

Mr Boland urged manufacturers to be more honest so that consumers can make

better choices. The actual storage is sometimes in the small print but may

be hard to find.

According to online forums the Apple iPhone 16GB phone has only 13.5GB

storage space.

Only 13.5GB? instead of 16GB? Now you're getting silly. When you
buy a PC from Dell or
HP, how much free space is on a 1TB drive? It isn't 1TB. It isn't even
1TB on a bare drive after it's formatted.

"Essentially, any phone you purchase will have less space available than

the amount advertised. And there is a lot of variation. You might be buying

a 16GB phone but in reality you could be getting anything from 15GB of free

storage with the HTC Windows 8X to just 9GB with the S4.

" There is not even uniformity across operating systems. So the Google

Nexus 4 has 13GB of available storage while the Samsung Galaxy S4 has just

9GB - yet both phones run on Android. Samsung has stuffed the device with

extra apps.

I'd love to know what those apps are. It would seem that would make
the most sense, that it's being loaded with extra apps. But I'm left
wondering what the apps are that Samsung wants to stuff a phone with
that total on the order of 4GB. That's one hell of a lot of something.

"Ultimately, it's not fair. You aren't getting the space you expected and

you have no easy way of knowing how much you will actually get from phone

to phone."

All the mobile phone companies insisted storage for operating systems and

updates is necessary and is explained in the small print.

Samsung said:"The Samsung GALAXY S4 uses part of its internal memory to

bring our customers its innovative and unique features. A portion of memory

is reserved for future software upgrades, such as potentially new platform

updates or premium suite updates. By doing so, we are able to provide added

value for GALAXY S4 owners throughout the device's entire lifespan."

The future updates thing is interesting. I wonder if that's a big part of
it. That some manufacturers are reserving a lot of extra space so that
if a future version on Android comes out, they can support it.

16GB Phones: What do you really get?

HTC Windows 8X 15GB

The Google Nexus4 13GB

Blackberry Z10 11GB

Sony XperialZ 10GB

Samsung Galaxy S4 9GB

Do you think mobile phone companies should be more honest about storage?

Yes, I do.