Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Type of concrete/cement for 1/4" thick fills

"trader_4" wrote in message

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 6:12:39 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
"LDT" wrote in message

The rundown: Old building, Bathroom fixtures mounted

plywood and tile cut around their footprints (why? I
have

no idea). I will be replacing fixtures, but mounting
on

top of tile this time, so I'll need to fill in

discrepancies in the footprint. I have not been able

find matching floor tile, but I do have a couple
pieces

that should be sufficient for visible areas.

Someone recommended that I use quick-setting concrete

fill in for 1/4" thick tile -under- the fixtures (not

visible). Any recommendations on brand/type of
concrete?

It would be great if it set in a couple hours.

Concrete wouldn't be good, aggregate is too large. You
could use mortar -

the stuff used for laying brick/block - either Type S
or N. You could also

use thinset. None of those will set in a couple of
hours, need about 24 to

set firm, 72 for partial cure, 30 days or full cure.
Biggest advantages of

all are that they are inexpensive, readily available
and easy to use.

--

dadiOH

How about this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Bu...6?N=5yc1vZc389

Says it sets in 4 hours and can be grouted same day.
It's also $6 and the right size for a small job.

I'm sure it would be fine. I'm guessing that it is gypsum plaster with the
price jacked up; if so, might as buy setting type drywall compound (which is
also gypsum plaster)...18 pounds for not much more and I suspect the OP will
need more than 1 1/2 pounds.

--

dadiOH