Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Small Capacitors: What Numbers Critical?

On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 09:16:56 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per Arfa Daily:
That 'leaked goo' is just glue that the manufacturer has used to stick a
radial cap down to the PCB so that it 'pretends' to be an axial type....

If you are basing your belief that the cap is faulty on what you perceived
to be something that had leaked out from within, then there's a very good
chance that you are mistaken.

Ok, that cuts it. Forget about DigiKey. I'm in this way waaaaay over
my head.

You can fix it with a pair of pliers. The yellow/brown goo becomes
conductive after it's been baked for a while. I haven't found a good
solvent that softens it yet, that also doesn't destroy components,
solder mask, or the PCB. My guess(tm) is that the yellow goo is
shorting out something on the PCB under the goo. Do whatever it takes
to remove the stuff and see if the camera recovers.

If you break the capacitor, I think you can afford these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321317467092 $3.19 plus $1.00 shipping.

Just trash these things and buy two more.

http://www.ifixit.com/Manifesto
Tossing repairable devices should be a capital crime.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D