View Single Post
  #28   Report Post  

Bob Haller:

It probably is the vent.

I don't know about your dryer, but when I bought three Maytag coin operated commercial dryers, the company I bought them from sent out a contractor/monkey to install the vents.

And, as you would expect, he did it the fastest easiest way he could, which wasn't the best way to do it. You see, he gets paid a flat rate for connecting the dryer vent, so there's no incentive to do it the best way he can. He ended up using the white vinyl tubing that I subsequently learned was banned for dryer installations because it was a fire hazard. The installer pretended to be dumb about that because the white vinyl hose made for faster easier installations. And, of course, the company I bought the dryers from didn't care since they'd already made their profit. How well the dryers worked was of no concern to them.

When you replace the venting, keep in mind that the best air flow is obtained by using the shortest, straightest, smoothest wall solid aluminum or galvanized steel vent piping possible. And, going from 4 inch diameter up to 6 or even 8 inch diameter vent pipe, if doable, will help too. As long as you can get a louvered cap to fit on the end that'll let the air out but won't let the rain in, then bigger is better. Any heating contractor can show you what's available in 6 and 8 inch louvered vents. And, DO NOT use short sheet metal screws to hold the sections of vent pipe together. You can only do that on the flue venting from gas fired boilers, furnaces and water heaters. With clothes dryers ONLY use duct tape at the joints to hold the vent piping together. Lint can accumulate on the screws and cause a fire hazard.

Finally, if you want to do a Cadillac job installing that vent piping, if your vent pipe has to run vertically, DON'T connect the dryer to the bottom of that vertical vent pipe. It's smarter to use a 45 degree saddle (see image below)

https://www.indoorcomfortsupply.com/...dle_Tap_45.jpg

to connect the dryer to the SIDE of that vertical vent pipe a foot or two above the bottom of the vertical vent pipe. Then, put a removable clean out cap at the bottom of the vertical vent pipe. That way, lint that is to heavy to be carried by the air stream will fall out and collect at the bottom of the vertical vent pipe where it can be cleaned out by removing the clean out cap. That means all the heaviest lint collects at the bottom of the vent pipe so you don't need to clear the lint out of the rest of the vent piping nearly as often.

Last edited by nestork : April 8th 14 at 07:54 AM