Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom koehler[_2_] tom koehler[_2_] is offline

Default Another feast or famine

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 18:15:17 -0500, G. Ross wrote
(in message ):

tom koehler wrote:
On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 4:44:32 -0500, G. Ross wrote
(in messageY4mdnZQfY9fvJbfOnZ2dnUVZ5o2dnZ2d@giganews. com):

When I first got addicted to turning I scrounged around for wood to
turn. Now it turns up in my yard. A friend had a sweetgum blow down
on his farm. He cut it up in chunks about 20 inches long and 19
inches diameter. He wanted to bring the whole bunch but I told him 5
pieces would be enough. He brought 7.
After cutting a 3-4 inch slice out of the center to remove the pith,
I was left with 14 blocks weighing average 70 pounds. Too heavy for
me to cut out on the bandsaw any more, so I drew a circle on the flat
side and cut it into an octagon with the chainsaw.
Using the Bowl Saver I got 28 bowls roughed out. Finished roughing
them and hauling two truck loads of scrap and shavings off on Monday.
Tuesday I heard a chainsaw in the neighborhood--two good-sized
dogwoods had bit the dust.
Have them sealed and mostly sliced, some roughed out. Looks like
another 25 bowls to rough out. Dogwood is one of my favorite turning
woods.
A lot of work for not much money, but like a shark I have to keep
moving or else.

I've never worked with sweetgum or dogwood. Know nothing about them, but I
am
told you can recognize dogwood by its bark.
tom

Absolutely!

Dogwood trees are generally small, but the wood is homogenous. No
sapwood or heartwood. In an 8 inch tree the pith is about 3/4 to 1
inch diameter, all the rest is nice solid wood all the way to the
bark. No real grain pattern, just pink, smooth cutting wood.
It is very hard. Used to be used for loom shuttles because it didn't
wear and the more it is used the smoother it gets.

I can send you a roughed out bowl if you want to wait for it to dry
and turn it.

I have been remiss in my duties as a moderately responsible adult, in
responding to your offer. I appreciate your generous offer. I will, however,
have to decline. I can't clearly explain why, other than I would feel odd,
somehow...not able to reciprocate. I will thank you, and take the thought for
the deed.
tom

--
I will find a way or make one.