Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Small Capacitors: What Numbers Critical?

"Can you expand on this Brown Glue issue a bit or provide reference links? "

Look under Mitsubishi glue in reference to TV repair. They used it for a number of years and it caused alot of problems. It starts out white, when it turns brown is when it starts being conductive. They eventually stopped using that type of glue, probably because in the business it was becoming so widely known even some of the consumers knew about it.

Other manufacturers used it as well but none in the brownwares business as liberally as Mitsubishi.

You could literally stick ohmmeter probes in it and reason it like a resistor, and not always ten megs. I've seen glops of it read like 10 Kohms.

After they stopped using it they then went to lytics that leaked electrolyte all over the board, not only becoming conductive but actually eating the copper traces awat. In an RPTV, if that failed to kill the unit, their coolant chamber design was defective enough to leak the ethylene glycol/glycerine coolant mixture on the board and it, given a little time with voltage applied also became conductive and corrosive.

So, what Mitsubishi, as well as a few other RPTV manufacturers did, instead of desiging the pressure relief (bladder) correctly, the installed gutters in the sets because it was found that if the coolant leaked on parts of the board woith higher voltage and current, like the horizontal or high voltage, it could cause a fire. Think of what the lawyers would have said ! AQctually I have seen units in which the board actually caught fire but in those cases it did not burn the whole house down. If it had, the road men would have noticed something funny during the initial service call. They're observant that way...

As such, even though it is well known all over the industry not to use that type of glue, I am confident that some manufacturers will use that type of glue. Think of what the accountants would say.