Posted to sci.electronics.repair
(PeteCresswell) (PeteCresswell) is offline

Default Small Capacitors: What Numbers Critical?

Per Jeff Liebermann:
Hint: The quality of the answers depends heavily on the quality of
the information you supply. You left out the maker and model of the
camera, the maker of the capacitor, where in the circuit it's used,
and under what conditions it is failing.

I didn't want to call attention to the maker because these cams work
pretty well for their cost (about $100). They are EdiMax IC-3030PoE's
as in
http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_det...id=8&pl2_id=91

I have one more that has not failed yet. All 3 have had different
histories - one of them having survived Hurricane Sandy mounted outdoors
in a plastic bag about 25' from the bay.

Once I have a supply of those caps - and it turns out that replacing the
cap makes the camera work again - I'll buy another IC-3030PoE in a
heartbeat.

Thanks for the analysis of what values matter when. I think I've
learned something worth knowing from all this.
--
Pete Cresswell