Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pulley alignment

On Mon, 7 Apr 2014 05:18:08 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

I have an intermittent noise in my wife's 2007 Ford Escape. I am looking for an easy and accurate way to check pulley alignment on the serpentine belt system. (Preferably without purchasing an expensive tool).

I have read about garages using lasers to check them. (Of course it is an expensive tool that has to be purchased.)

Could a person somehow use a simple laser pointer? The other problem is the tight quarters, it is a sideways front wheel drive four cylinder, so it is hard to get to.

The noise is a kind of rattle/squeal that is pronounced when the ac is on. I put a new belt on it sometime agao and the problem went away. However it came back.

Visually I cant really tell that the belt is running untrue but again it is hard to look at.

Spinning everything by hand there does not seem to be excessive play. I sis note I could hear the alternator when I spun it by hand. I am not sure if this is normal or not.

As always I appreciate it!

Escapes and just about all Mazdas have a bad habit of producing a lot
of belt squeel. Get a Gatorback belt and it will go away. Plan on
replacing annually