Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Replace water line from street to house -- PEX or copper?

Our water line from the township's shutoff to the house* is polyethylene
and has sprung a leak. The quote to replace it with PEX is $1475; copper
would be about $500 more.

The plumber said PEX should be good for 20 years or more; the guy from
the township who came to shut off the water said they still use copper.

Any informed opinions here about which we should choose?

*Actually about 6ft from the house: that much of the poly pipe was
replaced by copper about six years ago when we had water trickling down
the inside of our basement wall.

Perce

PEX should last longer than that.

The reason the town is using copper is because they have deep pockets
(yours) and "we always did i that way" mentality.

I'd go with PEX and use the $500 difference for something else.