Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default Small Capacitors: What Numbers Critical?

On 04/07/2014 10:34 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per dave:

Is this an electrolytic? Polarized?

I can't find any indication of polarity.

I'm not sure what constitutes electrolytic, but when they failed a
brownish goo leaked out and solidified.

Here are a couple of pix:

http://tinyurl.com/manvbbg
http://tinyurl.com/n82vgpj

That brownish goo on the top of those capacitors is the glue to hold it
to the PCB. If the caps leaked it would be at the other end, where the
two leads come out of the (usually) black plastic sealed end, not
through the aluminum top!

These are standard electrolytic caps - if you look at the side closest
to the camera you will see the -- band which is the negative.

These caps may be OK - if you made the assumption that the brown goo
indicated failure - and the problem may be elsewhere...

John :-#(#
www.flippers.com