Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default Small Capacitors: What Numbers Critical?

In article ,
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

I've got a couple of IP cams where the same cap failed.

It's a 15 uF, 100v radial cap spec'd to 105c.

But I'm having fits trying to find a replacement where they don't rape
me on shipping.

Can I shop for something with slightly different specs?

i.e. is 100v just an upper limit beyond which the cap will fail... and I
could replace it with a 200v or 300v cap?

What about uF? Do I use a 20 or 30 uF at my own risk?

Pete-

I saw this same question recently. I did not reply because I thought
others had good answers. Basically, the answer "depends"!

A higher voltage is acceptable unless the physical size is a problem.

Higher capacitance might be OK if it is used as a power supply filter.
If it is used as part of a timing circuit, then stay close to the
original value.

Failures of the same part on multiple devices could be the result of the
original manufacturer buying a bad batch and/or counterfeit parts. If
your replacements do not solve the problem, it could be due to a poor
design that over-stresses the part.

Fred