Posted to sci.electronics.repair
dave dave is offline

Default Finding a replacement MOSFET

On 04/05/2014 12:34 PM, wrote:
I have a faulty motherboard, it doesn't power up when the power switch is pressed. There are a number of faulty caps that I'm in the process of replacing but the only time I successfully powered the board on there was a audible 'crack'. I thought this was a cap venting but I think it has taken out a MOSFET.

I've checked them all with a meter (in place) and one of them seems to be short circuited. I was considering desoldering it and then seeing if the board powers up (even partially). If that's successful I was going to try and track down a new MOSFET. I don't seem to be able to find the exact part here in the UK (NIKO P60N03LDG) but I've found the datasheet. What properties do I need to match to get a substitute?

Am I likely to be able to get the board working again or should I just junk it?

Thanks,

Simon

If it's just being used as a switch it should be easy to substitute.
MOSFETS take out their neighbors when they fault shorted.