Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Installing NEST Thermostat - two wires

trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, April 6, 2014 1:39:07 AM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:

I just installed 2 of these nest thermostat in my house. Both 2 wire connection, un marked, The system is gas, radiant in floor heating and basically if you touch the 2 wires it completes the circuit and you have heat. My nest has a built in battery so it works even when i pull it off the wall. anyways you just need to connect W1 and RH and you are good to go, even if you get the wires backwards it will still work, i am not sure on if it will charge the nest if it is backwards. I am going to take a look at my relay box tomorrow and verify the color codes. i have both of the wired opposite so i know they work no matter what.

good luck.

On Saturday, 14 December 2013 07:52:40 UTC-8, Ian wrote:

I am installing a new NEST thermostat, replacing an old two wire mercury bulb furnace thermostat. There are only two unmarked wires. There's 24 V across the wires.

Can anyone tell me which letters on the NEST base (W, Y, O/B, AUX, E, G, C, etc) they will map to? It has to be the most basic of installations; open or close the circuit.

Thanks,

Ian

Hi,

Nest 'stat has firmware bug, never heard about it? Off topic their

smoke detectors are being recalled.

It apparently has a lot more serious problems. The long list of ****ed
off customer complaints at Amazon is amazing. Last time I looked, which
was months ago, most of the complaints were related to using it in the
2 wire mode, where they try to rob power from the system to power the
thermostat. In order to reduce power to make that possible, instead of
using small relays like most other thermostats, they used FETs which
apparently burn out, don't work, etc. One feature they appear to have
that you gotta love is that it can and will install software updates
any time it wants to and you have no control over if it does, nor when.
Just what you want in a mission critical app. IMO this thing is great
if you want a stylish ornament for your wall. If you want a real thermostat,
that works, I'd get a Honeywell VisionPro.

Hi,
I maybe biased as Honeywell retiree, I like Honeywell Vision Pro line my
self. Just good for the guy who sold the Nest to Google for 3 billion.
Rule is the more a device gets fancy, the more possibility of some thing
behaving weird unexpectedly.