Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Clothes dryer: repair or replace?

On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 23:43:38 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Oren wrote:
On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 19:58:34 -0400, Nil
wrote:

I think I can DIY it. I've fixed it before - I replaced the belt about
10 years ago, and it wasn't too hard. And the parts may be less than I
thought. I see on Ebay that a used heater goes for about $45 and the
individual heating coils are only about $15 each. The thermostats are
less than $10. So it's matter of me opening up the machine, testing the
parts with my multimeter, closing up the machine, ordering the parts,
opening up the machine again when they arrive and doing the fix. My
time and labor is cheap if it's for myself.

Fixing it will definitely be cheaper than a new unit. But since lots of
other big appliances are more energy efficient, maybe a new dryer would
work better and be cheaper to run.

Not sure where you live, but I often see "FREE" washers and dryers on
Craiglsist. Folks just buy new units, keeping up with the Jones'.
Worth a look - even for parts if the appliance is the same.

Hi,
People are funny. When I tried to give away my old working GE DW,
no one would take it. When I said price is 50.00, a few wanted to
pay for it.

If you want to get rid of it, put it on the curb with a sign "Works
like new, $100" - it'l be gone the first night.