Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] simonrowe60@gmail.com is offline

Default Finding a replacement MOSFET

On Sunday, April 6, 2014 5:18:31 AM UTC+1, Phil Allison wrote:

** I found then when some 1200uF 6V electros when bad on the MOBO in my

previous PC, a mosfet associated with one of them got VERY hot. New

electros fixed that completely.

These were 1000uF 6.3v caps. I was hoping the board was salvageable, I'd just fired it up to check that I had a working baseline when it went pop...

** That is what overheated mosfets do.

Is this short likely to have caused other parts to fail?

** Worth a go, I'd say.

Is removing the dead MOSFET and trying to power up the board a safe thing to do?

Fitting the new SMD mosfet to the PCB is gonna take some skill and care

though.

Yeah, I've only got a 40W iron, the caps came out reasonably easily using a heat gun to pre-warm the board. I was hoping to do the same with the MOSFET.

Simon