Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Finding a replacement MOSFET

I have a faulty motherboard, it doesn't power up when the power switch is
pressed. There are a number of faulty caps that I'm in the process of
replacing but the only time I successfully powered the board on there was a
audible 'crack'. I thought this was a cap venting but I think it has taken
out a MOSFET.

** I found then when some 1200uF 6V electros when bad on the MOBO in my
previous PC, a mosfet associated with one of them got VERY hot. New
electros fixed that completely.

I've checked them all with a meter (in place) and one of them seems to be
short circuited.

** That is what overheated mosfets do.

Am I likely to be able to get the board working again or should I just junk
it?

** Worth a go, I'd say.

Fitting the new SMD mosfet to the PCB is gonna take some skill and care
though.

Changing electros is tricky enough.

..... Phil