Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Collet blocks , cup wheels , and end mills ...

On 2014-04-05, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in
:

If you are going to be grinding on your mill -- be sure to
protect all the ways thoroughly. The grinding swarf is a killer for
unprotected ways.

Most mills of any consequence have protected ways as part of their design.

Well ... my BOSS-3 Bridgeport CNC mill has the Y-axis ways
exposed in front of and behind the saddle -- as well as the upper half
of the vertical ways that the knee travels on.

Not sure whether or not you count a Bridgeport as "of any
consequence". :-)

There are various kinds of rubber flaps set up to cover the ways
-- but I think something offering a bit more complete covering would be
a good idea with grinding swarf floating around in the air, and sticking
to the waylube on the ways. Instant lapping compound. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail