Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair
Danny D.[_10_] Danny D.[_10_] is offline

Default Would you file an FTC or FCC complaint for Android T-Mobile ROMlies?

On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 11:44:48 -0400, TJ wrote:

He wants to move apps to his external card, mostly bloatware installed
as part of the system by T-Mobile, and the OS won't let him do so. So,
because he can't use it the way he wants to use it, he has declared it
"useless."

This is correct, but I would also like to clarify:

I had bought the phone *assuming* I could augment the puny 4GB internal
ROM with a cheap $30 class-10 32GB external micro-SD card.

However, apparently Google has disabled the ability to MOVE applications
to the external SD card and they have disabled the ability to DOWNLOAD
applications TO the SD card, in Android versions after Ice Cream Sandwich
(according to Leyda at LG Mobile Communications 800-243-0000).

LG tells me they don't install anything, so, it's T-Mobile who puts on
the operating system and the pre-installed apps. The operating system
plus the pre-installed (non-removable) apps takes up all but 600MB of
the internal memory, out of the box.

Had I known this was, in effect, a 600MB phone, even with a 32GB
external memory card, I would never have purchased the phone.

You can call me stupid, but, it wasn't obvious to me that the SD card
slot was nearly useless, since you apparently can't install apps on the
SD card.

With only 600MB available, in toto, for apps, the phone becomes almost
wholly useless as a "smart" phone (IMHO).

To be clear, it's fine as a voice phone; but it's nearly useless as a
smart phone, IMHO, because it only allows a paltry 600MB of apps.

My mistake was in believing that I could augment the admittedly puny
4GB of internal memory with the 32GB card. I believe the reviews and
the carrier should have told me that the phone has only 600 MB of
storage space for apps, since there is absolutely no way anyone could
know this ahead of time.

That last point is critical.

There is no way you can know this information without both having
the phone in your hands, and in adding your Google Play account
so that you can try to download apps. Only *after* you've downloaded
600 MB of apps will you realize that the stated 1.8 GB of "usable
memory" that the OS reports is a bold-faced lie.

Since it's impossible to know the true available memory (of 600 MB)
without owning the phone yourself, I believe the carrier should have
told me this information when I asked them about the "usable" memory.

While you can call me an idiot for thinking that the phone had
anything more than 600 MB of "usable memory", does my argument at
least make sense to you?

That is, would YOU have been similarly deceived or did you know,
from the start, that the 4GB phone is really only a 600MB phone?

(i.e., am I the only idiot out there who was fooled?)