Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default What Happens When One Ganged Breaker Needs To Trip?

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
As most of us know, the tripped position of a circuit breaker is different
than the Off position. The tripped position is kind of mid-way between Off
and On. We then need to turn the breaker Off and then On to reset it. As
far as I know, there is no way for the user to manually set a breaker to
the tripped position. The only options a user has is On or Off.

So let's assume we have this (common?) situation:

2 adjacent single pole breakers are tied together with the appropriate tie
bar based on the breaker's manufacturer. This is done to ensure that both
breakers are always turned off at the same time, killing power to both
circuits.

Now let's look at this situation:

One of the circuits has a problem and requires it's breaker to trip.
However, that breaker's handle is tied to the adjacent breaker's handle.

What is going to happen when the fault tries to trip the breaker since the
adjacent breaker can't be manually set to the tripped position? In other
words, how is the tripping force on the rigid tie bar going to deal with
the breaker that has no need to trip?

The purpose of the tie bar is to cut off the breaker on the side that is not
tripped. In other words, in effect both will either be tripped or atleast
in an off position.

---