Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Collet blocks , cup wheels , and end mills ...

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message

You both have good points ... my mill does have accordion covers
over the ways , but I'd still cover the table and stuff with
something just to be sure . After looking as several different units
, it looks fairly simple to build a device to hold in the vise that
will set the 2 angles and have indexing . I'm sure glad I bought a
RT with indexing plates when I had some money !
--
Snag

On the one I have the round recess for the collet holder is tilted in
the rectangular base to determine the angles, so it looks like the
base could be clamped in a milling vise or directly onto the table.
When I grind a four-flute endmill I rotate the fixture somewhat so the
wheel pass over the down-slope flute and clears the upslope one while
grinding to the center. The position of the flute relative to the base
sets the cutting edge angles, the base doesn't have to be parallel to
the table.

It may not be evident that the cutting edges dish very slightly toward
the center. Increasing the angle a little doesn't seem a problem,
while you don't want the center protruding and dragging.
jsw