Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default outdoor post lighting

On Thursday, April 3, 2014 7:50:48 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
happytuning wrote:

Good afternoon everybody...being living in my first home for about 3yrs

now. Been doing simple repair here and there, but now I have to replace my

outside light post (broke) which is located in the center of my front

lawn. There electrical running with indoor light switch, would light to

switch to solar but several can find one that has good review with long

last lighting.

--

In my opinion, you are lucky to have power running to the light. I would

not substitute a solar fixture for a wired fixture.

If it were me, I would replace the current fixture with another wired

fixture. I would buy one that has a motion sensor with a dusk to dawn

setting. That would give you the choice of "on all night", "on when it

senses motion" or "on 24-7" if you so choose.

I have yet to see solar lights that are bright enough or last long enough

to be of any use. Granted, I've never owned any solar lights, but when I

walk the dogs at night and see the wimpy light put out by those solar power

landscape lights, I always wonder why people even bother.

I'm not sure if code requires a lamp post to be protected by a GFI, but if

it were me doing the installation, I'd want it to be a GFI regardless of

what the code says.

Of course, this all assumes that the existing wiring for the lamp post is

installed correctly and is in good shape.

+1 to the above. Regarding the GFCI, code doesn't require it,
unless it has a receptacle. Depending on where it;s located and where the
nearest receptacle is, adding one may not be a bad idea.