Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Collet blocks , cup wheels , and end mills ...

On 2014-04-04, Terry Coombs wrote:

Ok , so I've got a few cough cough end mills with chipped or dull ends .
And I have this idea to use a collet block and a tapered wedge in the vise
to touch them up on the mill . Actually it'll take 2 wedges ... anyone ever
seen sch a set-up ?

Well ... sorta! There is something made for use in a surface
grinder with a mag chuck, but it should work in a milling vise too. It
has two angles on the bottom, and a rotating holder for an R8 collet (or
is it 5C?) Anyway -- on the bottom is a detent so you can rotate the
endmill in steps sufficient for 6-flute and 5-flute end mills, as well
as 3 and 2 flute which are a subset of the 6-flute.

Not very expensive. I've got one which is just too tall for my
tiny benchtop surface grinder -- except perhaps with little 1/4" shank
mills or smaller.

Suggestions for an easier way ? short of buying a
surface or tool grinder , please

If you are going to be grinding on your mill -- be sure to
protect all the ways thoroughly. The grinding swarf is a killer for
unprotected ways.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--