Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT computers

On Fri, 4 Apr 2014 09:26:32 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| Boot into Safe Mode to use the last known good configuration.

The last known good configuration is the one
from the old machine. But you can try it. Good
luck. On the other hand, if it doesn't work you
may have no other options, so why not just uninstall
the drivers before storing the backup? It's not a
lot of work.

Booting to safe mode *should* be fine for graphic
drivers. I've never had a case where I even needed
to do that. But one never knows. Clare@ seems to have
come across something funky. (Which wouldn't surprise
me on a Dell machine. I would never buy one of their
computers for that reason: They customize both hardware
and drivers unnecessarily, so that one is often dependent
on Dell parts and service.)

Just about every one turns into "the Dell from Hell" when something
goes wrong. I'd never sell one. And when I get one offered to me to
fix and give to someone I CRINGE. It's usually not worth the
downstream agravation.

I think a big part of the problem is that Microsoft
has had a monopoly and could afford to adopt a
parochial attitude. Windows should be more adaptable
and less brittle in dealing with new hardware, but MS
like to imagine that's not relevant. They assume one
Windows license for every machine. So there's little
documentation or adaptation of the OS for being moved.
(Despite the fact that they charge about $100 extra
to millions of people for the Pro license that gives them
the legal right to move their "license" and OS to another
machine.)

Can you imaging what a "wild west" the computer world would be without
someone like Microsoft with the critical mass to influence (or even
control) how software and hardware interact? I can. I've been
involved with computers from before Microsoft became the "standard" -
when there were 4 or 5 different incompatible versions of CPM, as many
different incompatible versions of xNIX, 5 or six competing hard-drive
standards, at leat 5 different video standards (incompatible) and as
many different data formats.

As for the extra $100 for PRO, that is not to allow moving from
machine to machine - OEM versions of PRO are also only licenced to the
machine it is sold with. Pro provides all the network connectivity for
joining domains etc that is not included in the home or standard
versions.

If you buy a "retail" copy of Windows it comes with a pretty full set
of drivers - and more are available on the update site - and you can
legally move it to a new machine. You pay a significant premium for
that right - which also includes the right to technical support. OEM
software is to be supported by the OEM (oh yeah!! - ever try to get
OS support from Dell (or Acer, or any other manufacturer)?)