Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default AA Battery chargers

On Fri, 4 Apr 2014 12:27:52 +0100, Davey wrote:

On Fri, 04 Apr 2014 12:16:31 +0100
newshound wrote:

On 04/04/2014 11:30, Davey wrote:
Our Duracell NiMH AA/AAA recharger has died. I have recently added
some 1700 mAh batteries to the mix of original 1300 mAh ones, which
may or may not have precipitated its death. I am looking for a
replacement charger, able to sensibly recharge these, preferably in
any mix. Are there any brands/models known to be good or bad?

I'll look at Maplin, CPC, etc, but personal recommendations are
always welcome.

Well worth paying the extra for proper "smart" chargers rather than
the bargain basement: smart chargers make sure a mixed set all get
"filled", and don't destroy cells by overcharging.

I would agree, with my little knowledge. Hopefully a cheaper Ansmann
will still be Smart enough. I don't need to charge 8 cells at once, for
example.

It seems that cells need slow charging but chargers boast of speed.
Even buying LSD NiMH cells and charger together, from Aldidl, there's a
mismatch between them.
I always charge 4 cells together to mitigate the need for speed.

The Duracell was supposed to be 'microprocessor controlled', but I think
I just overloaded it by using higher capacity cells, defeating any
brain power it had by brute force.

High capacity won't make any difference - just take longer. If the cells are
indeed high power (cordless drills etc.) then the internal resistance would
be low. Surely any worthwhile charger should be able to limit its own output
so as not to commit suicide.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away