Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bill Gill Bill Gill is offline

Default Speakers and wire length

On 4/3/2014 9:25 PM, gregz wrote:
Bill Gill wrote:
On 4/2/2014 8:38 AM, Phil Allison wrote:
"Bill Gill"

It takes ten times the power to seem twice as loud.

Ten times the power is 10 dB, that is 10 times as loud.

** ********.

Most would say it was 2 or maybe 3 times as loud.

Twice as loud would be 3 dB.

** ******** again.

+3dB is only slightly louder.

+1dB is almost unnoticeable.

.... Phil

In one respect you are right +1 dB is just detectable. That is
how it was originally defined. +3dB is twice the power. To my
mind that is twice as loud. +10 dB is 10 times the power. Again
that would be 10 times as loud. Check the math. The calculation
is 10 * log(10) P2/P1.

Bill

Twice as loud should be twice the voltage. Forget power.

Greg

Yes twice as loud would be twice the voltage, but
I was talking power, not voltage. Power and voltage are
closely related. You just have to be sure which one you
are talking about. Since I specifically said that I was
talking power then I am correct. As far as that goes the
voltage ratio in dB is twice the power ratio. That is,
the calculation is 20*log(10)v1/v2, instead of 10*log(10)p1/p2.

Bill