Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default outdoor post lighting

happytuning wrote:
Good afternoon everybody...being living in my first home for about 3yrs
now. Been doing simple repair here and there, but now I have to replace my
outside light post (broke) which is located in the center of my front
lawn. There electrical running with indoor light switch, would light to
switch to solar but several can find one that has good review with long
last lighting.

--

In my opinion, you are lucky to have power running to the light. I would
not substitute a solar fixture for a wired fixture.

If it were me, I would replace the current fixture with another wired
fixture. I would buy one that has a motion sensor with a dusk to dawn
setting. That would give you the choice of "on all night", "on when it
senses motion" or "on 24-7" if you so choose.

I have yet to see solar lights that are bright enough or last long enough
to be of any use. Granted, I've never owned any solar lights, but when I
walk the dogs at night and see the wimpy light put out by those solar power
landscape lights, I always wonder why people even bother.

I'm not sure if code requires a lamp post to be protected by a GFI, but if
it were me doing the installation, I'd want it to be a GFI regardless of
what the code says.

Of course, this all assumes that the existing wiring for the lamp post is
installed correctly and is in good shape.