Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] mroberds@att.net is offline

Default How to arrange used parts shipping Internationally

In sci.electronics.repair Mathis Lefebvre wrote:
I can wait forever for it, but I called UPS and Fedex who said it
would cost $120 (Mailbox etc) and $100 respectively for them to pick
it up in Italy and ship it to me in the USA.

I second the recommendations to check out the post office. UPS and
FedEx tend to hit you with a bogus "customs brokerage" charge when you
ship internationally. Based on shipping some stuff USPS from the US to
Germany, the minimum you are looking at is probably $25 to $30, but
it'll be hard to go over $50 for several pounds of stuff.

Plus there are customs declarations to figure out.

From US to Europe, this is a simple form that you can get at the post
office, fill out, and stick on the box. You always have to say what's
in the box and give an approximate value, but something like "used
electronic parts, $20" or "used machine parts, $20" is sufficient. The
leading dodge is to mark it "gift", which means there are no duties.
Or, if the parts really aren't worth much, don't mark it "gift" and
pay the few bucks duty.

Matt Roberds