Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Speakers and wire length

"Phil Allison" wrote in message ...

I said "phase or timing differences", when I should have said "phase". Above
about 1kHz, phase differences are not used for directionality.

** But time of arrival for any transient is CRUCIAL !!

You're knowledgeable tons of things, but here you're wrong.

The ear cannot and does not hear phase

This is fact (read any book on acoustics). I confirmed it 44 years ago when
I used an oscillator with fixed and variable-phase output feeding stereo
headphones.

** Phase differences are not heard on headphones at all -- with *SINE*
waves.

They are. Not only do the books say so -- but I've done the experiment. The
ear/brain can hear phase differences -- //steady-state differences// (not just
polarity reversals) up to about 1kHz. Not surprisingly, this frequency roughly
corresponds to the acoustic wavelength of the head.

But with speech, music and other real sounds, reverse phase is VERY obvious.

You didn't read what I wrote.