Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Speakers and wire length

"Phil Allison" wrote in message ...

The ear/brain system can be sensitive to inter-aural timing
differences down to a few microseconds...

What is your evidence for this? Above about 1kHz, the brain doesn't
recognize phase or timing differences.

Huh ? That is rubbish.
It's above 1kHz that it all happens.

The ear has little or no sense of direction at low frequencies
but is very sensitive to higher frequency transients.

One can instantly recognise left, right, in front and even behind.

We're both wrong, here.

I said "phase or timing differences", when I should have said "phase". Above
about 1kHz, phase differences are not used for directionality. This is fact
(read any book on acoustics). I confirmed it 44 years ago when I used an
oscillator with fixed and variable-phase output feeding stereo headphones.

Arrival-time differences are another matter.