Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Changing a two wire Thermostat to a 5 wire or just 3?

On Tuesday, April 1, 2014 7:09:18 PM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:

I have a home built in 2006. It has baseboard heating and Air Condition via blown airCeiling Vents. The upstairs zone contains a 5 wire thermostat while the downstairs zone is only two wires? The AC unit is in the attic. Is it possible to run a 5 wire or 3 wire to the thermostat on the first floor? I am looking to add a Honeywell wifi thermostat.

Thanks!

Hi,

2 wire means it only controls base board heating? It sounds like this

one is heat only or cool only 'stat. 5 wires are for both heat and cool

control. WiFi 'stat needs to be connected to a router for remote access.

If that is what you have in mind look at also Ecobee. I installed Ecobee

at my daughter's 2nd home and it already did it's worth

this winter when furnace quit(burnt HSI fault), it sent alarm to my

daughter's iphone preventing possible freezing in the house.

Sounds like April fools day. If he has heat and AC, then how does
the existing thermostat only have 2 wires? But if it's somehow true
and it's too hard to run wires, I seem to recall seeing a wire
expansion widget, where you put a multiplexer at the furnace and
one at the thermostat and it turned 2 or 3 wires into 6 or whatever.