Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Another stupid question

On Tue, 1 Apr 2014 12:26:05 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I had a procedure done in a hospital this morning and I had been
in the building for about 30 minutes before we started, when
one of the nurses advised me to remove the battery from my
cell phone because as she put it, "otherwise the building
will kill it".

Perhaps it was coincidence but I then looked at my phone and
the battery state of charge was in the toilet. I know it
sounds crazy, and I'm embarrassed to even ask, was this
just bull**** or is there anything to this? Lenny

True. My guess(tm) is that there's no cell phone signal inside the
building. Your cell phone will continuously transmit at full power
trying to connect to a cell tower that's not there. The algorithm is
stupid and just repeatedly tries to connect until the battery is
depleted. For GSM, the phone does not know which time slot to use, so
it turns the receiver on full time, depeleting the battery even
faster. When we had an area wide fiber outage which killed the local
cell sites, my cell phone battery went from nearly full charge to
totally dead in about 3 hours.

However, you don't have to remove the battery. Just turn off the cell
phone.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558