Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Caulking-Gunn@work.com is offline

Default PEX pipe freezing

I recently saw what happens when both copper and CPVC pipes freeze, and
it's a big mess. I've heard that PEX pipes hold up much better when
they freeze. While I can understand that the pipe itself can expand and
thus hold up better, what about the fittings? They are brass or
plastic. I'd think the plastic would break, so I'd probably use the
brass, but will they burst when frozen? Or will they pop off the pipe,
regardless of the clamps? And what about those Sharkbite fittings, wont
they pop off the pipe? Ot break?

I'd like to hear from people who have experienced PEX pipe freezups.

Yea, I know the best method is to prevent freezing in the first place,
but "**** happens".