Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian C Adrian C is offline

Default Windows 7 Laptop with Vista Partition - Upgrade?

On 01/04/14 13:44, thescullster wrote:
Hi all

I am trying to understand the history of a laptop.
The product key sticker on the back shows Windows 7 Home Premium as the OS.
Looking at the partitions themselves, one of them is labelled Vista (the
other two partitions are WinRe and Data).

WinRe is a label used for the 'Windows Recovery Environment', something
that first saw the light of day with Vista.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows..._Envi ronment

I think your laptop was originally supplied with Windows 7 Home premium
and the existance of Vista might be as someone in the shop didn't have
the OEM windows 7 media to go straight there in a rebuild.

Windows 7 Home Premium didn't have downgrade rights, so it's unlikely
the previous user would have had Vista installed purposely for use, well
not officially.

Have a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927521 and see if there
are any 'downlevel' log files lying around.

--
Adrian C