Posted to uk.d-i-y
thescullster thescullster is offline

Default Windows 7 Laptop with Vista Partition - Upgrade?

In article ,
thescullster wrote:
Hi all

I am trying to understand the history of a laptop.
The product key sticker on the back shows Windows 7 Home Premium as the OS.
Looking at the partitions themselves, one of them is labelled Vista (the
other two partitions are WinRe and Data).

If the laptop originally had Vista installed in the shop and it was
upgraded to Win 7 before sale, would this account for the different
partition labelling? Or is the Vista partition proof positive that the
laptop has had the OS reinstalled at some time?

I guess anyone using a PC or laptop that has been upgraded from Vista to
7 should have the answer to this one.

My laptop was just that - bought as Win7, but came with Vista loaded and a
free upgrade, which IIRC had to be applied for. Which couldn't happen fast
enough. ;-)

Thanks Dave

So how are your hard drive partitions labelled?

Were they originally labelled Vista and changed to Win 7? Did they
retain the Vista label? Or did they have non-OS-specific labels?

Phil