Posted to alt.home.repair
Mayayana Mayayana is offline

Default OT computers

| But XP is zippy on old hardware, and does just fine with 256
| MB RAM for most uses.)
|
| Bull****.

Interesting reasoning.

| The biggest mistake people make is to view a computer as if it is a
| major appliance. Sure, ovens and fridges don't change much over time,
| so they'll still perform their basic functions just fine even when
| newer models are on the market. But computers are dynamic devices. The
| software and peripherals that run on/with them are constantly
| changing. They gradually lose efficiency, and eventually lose
| compatibility. At some point, they won't be good for much anymore.

In practice that's often true, and in Jerry's case
it might be easiest to just buy a new machine,
especially considering how cheap they are now.
But if you know how to re-install the system and
manage your software -- or if you have a friend
who can help -- then there's no reason to have the
problems you describe. Software doesn't "lose
efficiency", and most people rarely if ever change
their software. But if you don't manage startup
programs, if you allow browser toolbars to be installed,
etc then the system will get bogged down.

I was working on a friend's PC just yesterday.
He had wanted to download an audio file. The only
option was iTunes. In order to download he had
to install the iTunes software. For one audio file
he ended up with *4* nonsense Apple programs
running at startup. Most people don't understand
about such things. Even if the Apple installer provided
a choice about installing their junk (which I doubt)
my friend would have just gone along with the
suggested default install, as most people do. That's
the kind of thing that causes what appears to you to
be ageing and "lost efficiency".

So there might be a question as to whether it's
feasible for Jerry to "revivify" his old PC. But it
probably is a realistic option. I stress this point because
I think it's a shame that people waste so much money
out of ignorance. I've got a number of PCs that I
hold onto in case someone needs one. I get them
from people who think the way you do: Their system
gets mucked up, they think it must be dying of old
age, they go and buy another PC, then they give the
old one to me for parts. I do a factory restore in 30
minutes (which most PCs can do) and I've got a PC
as fresh as the day it was bought.... in most cases
still far more powerful than the person in question
actually needs.