Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default OT computers

On Sunday, March 30, 2014 7:10:45 PM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:
Frank wrote:

On 3/30/2014 5:41 PM, Jerry wrote:

My machine is old, 12 yrs to be exact. I do believe my hard drive is

dying. Wouldn't mind keeping my monitor, but would like to increase

memory,

speed, etc. And, specifically would like all my information put on

the new

system. I really like Outlook Express, but have heard it is not available

anymore.

In other words, I need some words of wisdom regarding what information I

should be looking for. And what should I steer clear of?

As you can tell I really lack computer knowledge.

thanks

Argument I'm having with wife on her old machine.

Figure new hard drive, couple of extra gigs memory and new OS, you're

going to spend about $300.

Hi.

When you mention extra gigs of memory, are you running 32 bit or 64 bit

machine or Linux? 32 bit machine(OS) has memory size limit Just addming

gigs of memory may not do any thing.

If the MB can handle the extra memory, there isn't an OS in the last
couple decades that won't make use of it.

New HDD? Is it SATA drive or an old

IDE?

Who cares, it's a 12 year old PC with a failing HD and he said
he wants more speed, more memory, etc. Simple answer is there
isn't anything there worth upgrading and you just buy a new PC.

My main box can multi boot XP(32 bit), W7(64bit), W8(64 bit) Ubuntu

12.3. Depending what I do I can boot OS I want/need. Lots of storage,

optical drives, even has floppy yet, LOL. Another box which is up 24/7

is on ssd, 3rd gen. i7, 16 gb memory, Drives 3 surveillance cameras and

NAS box. 16TB on NAS, 8TB in the box. They go to sleep when not active.

Irrelevant of course.