Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT computers

On 3/30/2014 6:10 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Frank wrote:
On 3/30/2014 5:41 PM, Jerry wrote:
My machine is old, 12 yrs to be exact. I do believe my hard
drive is dying. Wouldn't mind keeping my monitor, but would like
to increase memory, speed, etc. And, specifically would like all
my information put on the new system. I really like Outlook
Express, but have heard it is not available anymore.

In other words, I need some words of wisdom regarding what
information I should be looking for. And what should I steer
clear of?

As you can tell I really lack computer knowledge.

thanks

Argument I'm having with wife on her old machine. Figure new hard
drive, couple of extra gigs memory and new OS, you're going to
spend about $300.

Hi. When you mention extra gigs of memory, are you running 32 bit or
64 bit machine or Linux? 32 bit machine(OS) has memory size limit
Just addming gigs of memory may not do any thing. New HDD? Is it SATA
drive or an old IDE? My main box can multi boot XP(32 bit),
W7(64bit), W8(64 bit) Ubuntu 12.3. Depending what I do I can boot OS
I want/need. Lots of storage, optical drives, even has floppy yet,
LOL. Another box which is up 24/7 is on ssd, 3rd gen. i7, 16 gb
memory, Drives 3 surveillance cameras and NAS box. 16TB on NAS, 8TB
in the box. They go to sleep when not active.

What boot loader are you using? Where is it available? Is it part of
Linux? o_O

TDD