Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default It beggars belief ...

"Arfa Daily"

It's not that I won't say - I just inadvertently omitted to. It was, in
fact, an AH1000-12GP12.

The story of how Peavey became involved is quite an interesting one. The
original Trace company went pear-shaped when all of their key employees
including designers, upped sticks and left to form Trashdown. That left a
cleaner, a van driver and the accounts girl at Trace ...

Gibson in America bought the Trace Idiot name, but sat on it for a couple
of years, before flogging it on to Peavey, by which time, any reputation
that Trace had enjoyed, had evaporated away ...

Eventually, Peavey brought out a range of equipment under the Trace name,
but it suffered a lot of production and after sales problems, and this
apparently just about finished off the Trace name as having any
credibility at all. GM audio remained somehow connected to the name in
this country - repairs maybe ? GM stood for Gary something - Mason, maybe.
I believe he was one of the original people from the Trace company, but
that might be wrong.

I spoke to the owner of the shop that this came in via, and he is of the
firm belief that this amp dates from before the original break up, so is a
genuine all-British Trace, rather than any kind of badge job.

** So, that ribbon terminator is not some fancy connector, it needed to be
soldered and was not.

That PCB has only pots, jacks etc so my bet is they were all hand inserted &
soldered some time prior to the ribbon cable being installed. It is
remarkable that it survived for over 10 years with no problem until now.

OTOH - I have seen examples where tinned wires were placed into the holes
in pins of 8 and 9 pin vales sockets and left unsoldered for years.

Then create the most god awful intermittents and vibration sensitive
noises.

..... Phil