Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default It beggars belief ...

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

I was going to blame a Chinese orphan having a bad day, but their Web
site says "Designed in Great Britain, assembled in the USA". Which is
an interesting division of labor.

** The Trace Elliot company has gone through several big changes.

Their factor in Essex closed in about 2002, since when the few remaining
products have been made in the USA, now by Peavey Electronics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trace_Elliot

Since AF will not say which pile of TE **** he has we have no idea where
it was made.

.... Phil

It's not that I won't say - I just inadvertently omitted to. It was, in
fact, an AH1000-12GP12.

The story of how Peavey became involved is quite an interesting one. The
original Trace company went pear-shaped when all of their key employees
including designers, upped sticks and left to form Trashdown. That left a
cleaner, a van driver and the accounts girl at Trace ...

Gibson in America bought the Trace Idiot name, but sat on it for a couple of
years, before flogging it on to Peavey, by which time, any reputation that
Trace had enjoyed, had evaporated away ...

Eventually, Peavey brought out a range of equipment under the Trace name,
but it suffered a lot of production and after sales problems, and this
apparently just about finished off the Trace name as having any credibility
at all. GM audio remained somehow connected to the name in this country -
repairs maybe ? GM stood for Gary something - Mason, maybe. I believe he was
one of the original people from the Trace company, but that might be wrong.

I spoke to the owner of the shop that this came in via, and he is of the
firm belief that this amp dates from before the original break up, so is a
genuine all-British Trace, rather than any kind of badge job.

Arfa