Posted to alt.home.repair

Default copper pipe soldering question

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 13:29:29 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Pico Rico wrote:
"H0m eGu y" "H0m e"@Gu y.com wrote in message
Pico Rico wrote:

when you need to unsolder a pipe connection and then resolder to it,
are there any tricks to the unsoldering, or to clean the joint of
solder so you can put a new coupling on it to resolder?

There really is no advantage, and actually quite a bit of extra work and
possibility to cause a fire, if you try to unsolder a copper pipe
connection.

You are much better off cutting out the joint or the section you're
working with and then solder new copper pipe in its place.

well, I tend to agree, but it really depends on the existing configuration
and location. In this instance, zero possibility of a fire, but cutting
back further is more of a hassle.

Hi,
YTime is money. Sorry I won't reuse unsoldered joint.

It can take less time to dissassemble and salvage than to cut and
patch.