Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default copper pipe soldering question

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 15:29:00 -0400, wrote:

You are much better off cutting out the joint or the section you're
working with and then solder new copper pipe in its place.

And the pipe gets too short because you cut it off, so you need 2
joints instead of one. No reason not to desolder if you can drain the
pipe, and you have a good torch. By good, I mean a turbo-torch, not
one of those crappy Bernzomatics from the sixties. I like MAPP on a
Turbo for desoldering (and soldering) if I can't use the acetylene
torch.

+1 Every new fitting introduced adds another potential leak in the
future. Less is better.